Sunday, March 22, 2015

Blended, Flipped and Personalized Learning


As education starts to think about catching up with everything else in today's supremely tech-integrated world, a lot of possibilities are opening up for changing the dynamics of our classrooms.  Technology is introducing an element of flexibility not possible in a traditional classroom, which has benefits for teachers and students.  Here I will take a quick look at three models of tech integration i the classroom - blended, flipped and personalize learning.

Blended Learning

The term blended learning covers a variety of approaches, but the signature feature of blended learning is that it combines online instruction with face-to-face work in the classroom.  This could involve splitting students into groups, with one group watching lectures or taking quizzes online, while other groups work on projects or work with the teacher.  This allows the teacher to focus on smaller groups of students while the others work at their own pace learning online.

This infographic from Knewton has heaps of information about different kinds of blended learning.

Flipped Learning

In a flipped classroom, teachers make use of podcasts, videos and presentation tools to deliver content to students for viewing outside the classroom.  Class time is focused on group work, practicing, solving problems etc.  Using class time to engage with the content viewed at home allows the teacher to provide help where students need it, and solve issues as they arise. 

This video says it all about flipped learning.



Personalized Learning

Personalized learning is student-driven, directed by each student’s interests, learning style and needs.  The pace of learning varies from student to student, as well as the content itself.  Extensive use of online technologies allow teachers to personalize learning for their students instead of fitting every student into one time frame or set of assignments.

Read this chart for some characteristics of personalized learning


So what's best for me?


I would love to flip my future high school ELA classroom.  Some tasks that are often set as homework, such as reading practice or writing, would be better done in class so that students can get immediate feedback on their work and correct problems or move on to new challenges as they are ready.  In addition to saving class time, watching videos or presentations outside of class could be more helpful to students than listening to a teacher lecture, as online learning can utilize a variety of media to help students with different learning styles understand the content.  Students who don’t immediately understand a video lecture can easily watch it again, or simply view a different one on the same topic.  Unlike in-person lectures, online videos can also be available for student reference as they are engaging with the topic they learned about.  I could make my own lecture videos or presentations, or make use of some of the fantastic resources already available online – lecturing in class does not allow this kind of flexibility.  When the time comes for students to use what they have learned, I will be on hand to give them immediate feedback, guidance or further challenge.

If you're still not convinced that a flipped classroom is a great idea, here is the mind-blowing video I made about it.


.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for including helpful resources (video & hyperlinks) for your reader. Those additional resources make your post so much richer for your audience. Your Mozilla Popcorn Maker video isn't showing up. To embed the code for your video, you'll first need to change to HTML in your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for the tip! I was trying to embed the infographic, too, and it was driving me crazy.

      Delete
  2. Helen- Your video is awesome! I really enjoyed reading this post and think you have some good ideas about all of these concepts. I tried to make a flipped learning video and remained unconvinced. I still believe the idea has some serious positivity to it but I cannot figure out how a student would advance if he/she were stuck on a question about the lecture. I really enjoyed your definitions on personalized, differentiation, and blended learning as well; all were very informative. Keep me in the loop whenever you implement them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I loved your post! I especially enjoyed your piece on blended learning in the classroom. My participating teacher at South Iredell HS was a blended learning coach prior to entering back into the classroom again this Spring. So much of what you said about blended learning, I got to see play out during my observation periods.The students are so much more on track and appear to be more motivated when technology is involved. Technology is their comfort zone, I suppose, which helps them feel less indifferent towards classroom work. Great post!

    ReplyDelete